Prominent Pastors & Christian Leaders Who Have Endorsed Huckabee
Press Release: Mike Huckabee Announces Southern Baptist Supporters
November 09, 2007
Little Rock, AR – Former Arkansas Governor and Presidential Candidate Mike Huckabee proudly announced the endorsements of several influential members of the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC), a group representing more than 16 million members who worship in more than 42,000 churches in the United States.
“I’m thrilled to have an impressive list of current and past Southern Baptist Convention leaders stand by my side,” Huckabee said.
The term “Southern Baptist Convention” refers to both the denomination and its annual meeting. Southern Baptists share a common bond of basic Biblical beliefs and a commitment to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the entire world.
The list of SBC members endorsing Huckabee includes:
- Dr. Jack Graham – Plano, Tex. (Pastor of Prestonwood Baptist Church and former President of the Southern Baptist Convention. )
- Dr. James T. Draper Jr. – Colleyville, Tex. (Former Pastor of First Baptist Church of Euless, TX and former President of the Southern Baptist Convention as well as long time President of Lifeway the publishing house of the SBC)
- Dr. Jerry Vines – Woodstock, Ga. (Former long time pastor of First Baptist Church, Jacksonville, Florida and President of the Soutern Baptist Convention.)
- Dr. Daniel L. Akin – Wake Forest, N.C. (current President of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary a SBC seminary in North Carolina)
- Dr. Jay Strack – Orlando, Fla. (Prominent Southern Baptist evangelist. )
- Dr. Billy McCormack – Shreveport, La. (Southern Baptist pastor and founding National Board Member of the Christian Coalition.)
“Mike Huckabee is clearly the most articulate spokesman for conservative values in today’s political arena. He is a wise and proven leader,” said Dr. Jack Graham, pastor of Prestonwood Baptist Church and former president of the Southern Baptist Convention. “He is a man who lives and governs by principal and is, in my view, uniquely prepared to lead our nation.”
Dr. James T. Draper Jr. is a former president of Southern Baptist Convention and former president of Lifeway Christian Resources. “I support Mike Huckabee for President because I have known him for over 30 years and know him to be a man of absolute integrity and sterling character,” Dr. Draper said. “He has the strength of convictions that will enable him to be a great leader.”
Dr. Jerry Vines twice served as president of Southern Baptist Convention and is former pastor of First Baptist Church of Jacksonville, Fla. He is founder of Jerry Vines Ministries in Woodstock, Ga. “Having known Governor Mike Huckabee for 30 years and observed his character, convictions and courage in public life, I wholeheartedly endorse him in his bid to become President of the United States,” Dr. Vines said.
Dr. Daniel Akin is president of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, N.C. “Mike Huckabee is the kind of man our country needs in a leader. He believes in those things that exemplify the best in our nation,” Dr. Akin said. “His values and convictions make him a leader worth following. I am delighted he is running for president and he has both my prayers and support.”
Dr. Jay Strack is president and founder of Student Leadership University and a world- renowned Southern Baptist communicator and minister in Orlando, Fla. “Mike Huckabee has brought clarity, compassion, and competency to every assignment and role he has been given,” Dr. Strack said. “He does not blink answering hard or tough questions and does so in a manner that does not alienate the inquirer.”
Dr. Billy McCormack is pastor of University Baptist Church and founding National Board Member of Christian Coalition. “Mike is not only well equipped for the presidency, he has demonstrated godly and righteous leadership in government which commends him to every evangelical who wants a firm and resolute hand on the helm of our ship of state,” Dr. McCormack said. “He will unify evangelicals nationwide in one giant move toward the nomination at first and the general election to follow. He is America’s logical choice.”
These endorsements are those of the individuals and not the organizations they represent.
Here is a compiled list of endorsements of Gov. Mike Huckabee for President by well known evangelicals :
- Baptist leader Rick Scarborough (Endorsement Article) Rick is founder and President of American Vision. A pro-family organiztion endorsed by men like Dr. D. James Kennedy.
- Don Wildmon founder/ former President of AFA, the American Family Association(Endorsement Article)
- Randy Alcorn, Christian Author (Endorsement Article) strong pro-life advocate
- Justin Taylor of Between Two Worlds
- Joe Carter of Evangelical Outpost
- Matthew Anderson Mere Orthodoxy
- Chuck Norris (Endorsement Article)
- Janet Folger of Faith to Action (Endorsement Article)
- Jack Graham of PrestonWood Baptist Church, Plano, TX (Video 11/4/07)
- James Robison, Life Outreach International (Endorsement Article)
- Keith Butler, Pastor - Word of Faith International Christian Center in Michigan
- Matthew Staver, Founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel
- Dr. James T. Draper Jr. – Colleyville, Tex.
- Dr. Jerry Vines – Woodstock, Ga.
- Dr. Daniel L. Akin – Wake Forest, N.C.
- Dr. Jay Strack – Orlando, Fla.
- Dr. Billy McCormack – Shreveport, La.
- Stephen Strang, publisher of CHARISMA, CHRISTIAN LIFE, NEW WOMAN, NEW MAN magazines (Magazine Endorsement)
- Jerry Cox, President of Arkansas Family Council – Little Rock, Ark.
- Jim Pfaff, President and CEO of Colorado Family Action – Castle Rock, Col.
- Kelly Shackelford, President of Free Market Foundation – Plano, Tex.
- Phil Burress, President of Citizens for Community Values – Ohio
News Releases from the Huckabee campaign regarding endorsements:
To see the source of the article CLICK HERE and you will be directed to evanglicalsforhuckabee.com